Saturday, August 19, 2017

Craft: Dressing your SS-Sized Plush - Bow Edition (ShellieMay)

The human here!

My favorite size of the Duffy plush is the SS-size, which is only sold in Japan during certain times. They are smaller than the standard 17" or "S-sized" plush, and a bit smaller than the 12" plush in the US as well, but a bit bigger than the 9" plush.

My beloved Shellie May is an SS-sized plush.  To date, they have all come pre-dressed.

Luckily, it's easy to take the clothes off, and it's not hard to make them come back on again!

I'm using Wishing Together plush for these tutorials.  The same concepts will hold true for the Spring Voyage plush (made for the Spring Voyage event for the spring of 2013, 2014, and 2015).  

For the Wishing Together ShellieMay, sold from about April 2016 through March (?) 2017, there is a single thread holding the bow in place. Not sure you can see it here.


I used a seam ripper to cut through the thread. There will be a thread left in her head; you could cut it out, or find the knot and pull it out. I pulled it out.


I found the bow had an unfinished edge, so I glued it to keep it from fraying, just in case.


Once the glue dried, I set a loose hair elastic right at the back of the bow, above the frayed edge.


(If you cannot sew at all and you have a long enough piece of elastic, you could actually cut it (if needed), thread one end through the "gathering" piece of the bow--the sewn part in the below photo--and then tie the ends of the elastic together, and try to see if you can get the ends to go up under the gathering piece. Then you would be done! I prefer to sew, myself, but the other way might have a nicer effect if it worked out right.)

Anyway, so I ran a stitch to tie the bow to the elastic band.


Now it fits back on her head! Yay!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment